How To Work with Files and iCloud Drive on an iPhone or iPad.
Yesterday, I showed you how to work with files Using iCloud Drive on a Mac. And in an earlier post: Overview of iCloud Drive, I covered what you can do with iCloud Drive, the Apple apps that work with it, and how to enable it.
Today, I’ll dig into managing your files with iCloud Drive on your iPhone or iPad.
Refresher: Files and iCloud Drive
- You can store any type of file in iCloud Drive
- The maximum size of any one file is 15GB
- You can store as many files as you like as long in iCloud Drive as long you don’t exceed your iCloud storage limit.
Where Is the iCloud Drive?
It depends on where you’ve chosen to keep it on your iOS device. I recommend using a Spotlight search or activating Siri and saying “Open iCloud Drive.”
When you open iCloud Drive, you’ll see a folders for Desktop and Documents and a folder for every Apple program that you’ve used to save a file (e.g., Numbers, Pages, iMovie, etc.).
To sort the files and folders the way you like you can using the tabs at the top (Date, Name, or Tags). Or touch the sort icon to the right of the tags.
To open a file, just touch it. You’ll be able to:
- Open the appropriate app (e.g., Numbers, Pages, iMovie, etc.)
- Preview the file visually (if it is a graphic, picture, pdf, or similar file type)—or, if you do not have the app for the file installed.
- Share the file—touch the share icon at the bottom left
- Delete the file—touch the trash can at the bottom center
- Move the file—touch the folder icon at the bottom right
How Do I Save Files and Folders to iCloud Drive?
When you initial open an iCloud-enabled app, you are given the option to use iCloud. If you need to check if the app has iCloud enabled, Apple’s Numbers app, for example, you’ll need to:
- Open the Settings app.
- Touch iCloud.
- Scroll down until you see iCloud Drive and check that it is enabled.
- Look at the list of apps below iCloud Drive and enable any that you want to use with iCloud Drive. (I recommend all.)
- If you do not see an app you’d like to use, install it using the App Store app.
Related Post Coming Soon…
- Using iCloud Drive on iCloud.com
- Using iCloud Drive on a PC
- Managing Your iCloud Storage