How To Shutdown, Power On, and Force Restart an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
- Hold down the Power/Sleep/Wake button until “slide to power off” appears.
- Slide the Power Symbol to the right to turn your device completely off.
- To turn an iOS device on, hold the Power/Sleep/Wake button.
- When you see the Apple logo (as above), release the button.
If your iOS device becomes sluggish or unresponsive, first try shutting it down using the first method above.
If the issue reoccurs, use a Force Restart:
- iPhone 6s (and Earlier), iPad, and iPod Touch
Press and hold both the Power/Sleep/Wake AND Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
- iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
Press and hold both the Power/Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
Note: You should only Force Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch as a last resort.