How To Shutdown, Restart, or Force Restart an Apple TV.
Siri Remote Method (4th Generation)
- Hold down the TV button or icon on the Siri Remote (or the Apple TV Remote App on your iOS device) until “Sleep Now?” appears.
- Select Sleep and press the touch surface (or touch on the Siri Remote surface area).
Aluminum or White Remote Method (3rd Generation)
- Hold down the Menu and Down buttons at the same time until the light on the Apple TV flashes.
Menu Method for 4th Generation Apple TV
- Go to Settings>System>Restart.
Menu Method for 3rd Generation Apple TV
- Go to Settings>General>Restart.
Unlike iOS and MacOS devices, the Apple TV does not have a Menu or Siri Remote method for Force Restarting the device. If your Apple TV is unresponsive and will not Sleep using the Remote Method above, then:
- Unplug the Apple TV, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in.
Note: You should only unplug your Apple TV as a last resort.