What To Do When Text Replacement Shortcuts Stop Working.
A few times in the years since I started using Text Replacement Shortcuts, they’ve stopped working on one of my Apple devices. This seems to happen when I reset a device or upgrade its operating system.
If this happens to your device, here’s how to fix it.
Step A: Check iCloud Drive Settings
Review An Overview of iCloud Drive first to ensure the settings are correct.
Step B: Add or Edit a Text Replacement Shortcut
- Test a Text Replacement Shortcut on each of your devices until one works.
- On that device, add or edit a shortcut.
- Once you’ve made a change, wait a minute or two.
- Then test the new or edited shortcut again on the working device…
- If it works, try it on the original device where text replacement wasn’t working…
- If it still doesn’t work, move on to Step C.
- If this resolves the issue, ignore Step C.
Step C: Reset iCloud Drive
- Go into the Settings (iOS) or System Preferences (MacOS).
- Locate iCloud settings.
- Turn off iCloud Drive.
- Restart the device.
- Once it restarts, reenable iCloud Drive.
- Return to Step B and test again.